The link between coconut oil, health benefits and frequent use (both internally and externally) is a popular topic for many. And one that I am particularly invested in.
For much of my teenage and adult life I experienced poor digestion, compromised immunity and skin sensitivities such as eczema and dermatitis. These conditions were particularly bad during times of stress.
Since using coconut oil and adopting The Healthy Coconut lifestyle, my stomach is flat and my skin is smooth.
Coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified a superfood. Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive effects for your health.
Used both internally and externally, I believe that coconut oil:
- Boosts energy levels and helps chronic fatigue. Coconut oil is metabolised and converted by the liver directly into energy.
- Is the best choice for healthy cooking. Coconut oil is a highly stable fat that does not oxidize when heated making it a very safe and healthy cooking oil.
- Increases metabolic rate and leads to weight loss. Coconut oil increases your metabolism so you burn more KJ’s which leads to natural and healthy weight loss.
- Supports immune function by killing disease causing bacteria, fungi and viruses. The MCFAs in coconut oil offer antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Supports and improves symptoms of digestive disorders. Coconut oil possesses a gastrointestinal antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Creates radiant skin. Coconut oil provides fat-soluble vitamins, minerals and super nutrition factors to damaged tissue.
- Is a multi-tasking beauty elixir. Coconut oil nourishes, moisturizes and protects your hair and skin by replenishing the body’s natural oils (Sebum).
- Helps reduce sugar cravings and balance blood sugar. People using coconut oil have noticed their ability to go without food for longer without symptoms of hypoglycemia and with less cravings and feelings of satisfaction.
- Supports healthy thyroid function and hormone balance. Regular consumption of coconut oil restores thyroid function by assisting the hormones transport to the cells.
How to use coconut oil
To enjoy the many benefits of coconut oil you must use a good quality cold pressed, raw, virgin coconut oil. Nothing refined or tampered with in any way. A quality coconut oil will also have a nice subtle coconut taste and aroma, it will not overpower the flavours in your food. I personally use coconut oil for all of my cooking, my food tastes great and my health has never been better.
Oil pulling (an ancient Ayurvedic health tradition which involves using the oil as a mouth wash and spitting it out) is a simple and effective way to detox your body. The fat enzymes in the oil literally pull toxins, pus and bacteria from the body. It also whitens the teeth.
Adults take two to four tablespoons of coconut oil daily and children take two teaspoons every morning. When first taking virgin coconut oil, start with one tblsp with each meal. Some people experience loose motions for a few days (this may be a sign of intestinal fungal infection or candidiasis as it is being destroyed). For those with a sensitive taste or stomach it may be helpful to mix with tea, juice, yoghurt or add to some food such as oats, nuts and seeds.
Virgin coconut oil is also both safe and recommended for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
For more enlightenment and self-care, don’t forget to check out our Truth or Dare Self-Discovery + Happiness Game!