With more and more research revealing that an inactive lifestyle can dramatically and negatively impact your health, happiness and life expectancy, we thought now might be a good time to share some easy ways you can incorporate more movement into your day.
As always, please feel free to take what works and ignore what doesn’t.
Nine ways to incorporate more movement into your day.
- Set a timer on your phone to remind you to stretch for a few minutes every hour of your work day.
- If and where possible, spend a few hours of your day standing up while you work. You can set up an ergonomic standing desk at your workstation, or DIY a platform for your laptop using books. Just be sure to check in with your resident physiology expert to ensure your set up is ergonomic and alternate between standing, sitting and taking short walks around the office.
- Do sets of ballet plié’s while you brush your teeth.
- Create a kitchen-friendly workout routine you can do while you’re cooking. There are lots of barre moves that would work well, and you can wear ankle weights to increase the difficulty.
- As soon as you get up in the morning, move your body through a series of sun salutations. It needn’t take long; a few calm salutations will have you starting the day off on the right foot.
- It’s all well and good to be calmly zen during meditation, but why not wiggle, jiggle and fidget your way to extra movement when you can?
- Wherever and whenever possible, walk. Walk to your lunch venue. Walk home. Walk to work. Walk to your local supermarket. Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Walk, walk and then walk some more.
- Request standing and walking meetings at work. Who says you have to sit down to discuss your ideas? There are plenty of famous writers and creatives who believe that walking is one of the best conduits of creativity!
- Craft a wind-down yoga routine to settle your nervous system before bedtime. We love child’s pose and leg’s on the wall for soothing and comforting our bodies after a long day.
How do you incorporate movement into your day? Drop us a comment to share your tips!
- Top tips for training with your dog - September 16, 2016
- How to talk yourself out of a bad mood - August 23, 2016
- Nine ways to incorporate more movement into your day - August 20, 2016